Christian Education exists for the teaching and instructing of God’s covenant people in the persons and work of the Triune God.
We have Christian Education for all ages starting at 9:30 on Sunday mornings. CE runs parallel with the standard school year (Fall and Spring semesters) and breaks for the summer.
Adult Christian Education – Spring 2020 – The Book of 1 Samuel
We typically try to alternate studying a book from the Old Testament followed by a book from the New Testament. In the Spring of 2019, we completed our study on the book of James. Then in the Fall of 2019 we began a study on the Old Testament book of 1 Samuel. Come join us at 9:30am in Westminster Hall as we study through 1 Samuel this year, and together we witness how God continues to be faithful to His people, even when His people aren’t as faithful to Him.
- January 12 – 1 Samuel 17:1-23 – David and Goliath, Part 1
- January 19 – 1 Samuel 17:23-58 – David and Goliath, Part 2
- January 26 – 1 Samuel 18:1-30 – Best friends
- February 2 = Deacon’s report on GCPC budget
- February 9 – 1 Samuel 19:1-24 – Saul plots revenge
- February 16 – 1 Samuel 20:1-42 – David and Jonathan
- February 23 – 1 Samuel 21:1-15 – David eating on the run
- March 1 – Psalm 52
- March 8 – 1 Samuel 22:1-23 – David in a cave
- TBD… – 1 Samuel 23:1-29 – David takes a quick intermission
- TBD… – 1 Samuel 24:1-22 – David shows mercy
- TBD… – 1 Samuel 25:1-44 – David and Abigail
- TBD… – 1 Samuel 26:1-25 – David shows mercy, again
- TBD… – 1 Samuel 27:1-12 – David goes undercover
- TBD… – 1 Samuel 28:1-25 – Saul grows desperate
NOTE: In the past, it was often difficult to hear in Westminster Hall, due to the poor acoustics. Thankfully, the acoustics were upgraded in the Spring of 2019 in Westminster Hall. So you should hear a significant improvement now.
Observation / Interpretation / Application
As in our past studies through James, John, & Judges, our goal as we study through 1 Samuel in the Adult class, is to find the authors original purpose and message to the original audience. Then once we understand the main thing the author is trying to say, we can see both applications for the original audience, and us today. As we’ve been studying the past several years, we’ve been using the following steps. Observation… Interpretation… Application…
- Observation – What do I see? (In this step we ask questions to better understand what we are reading)
- Who – Who is involved in the story or letter? Who is the author? Who is he writing to?
- What – What is going on? What is the setting? Take a step back and look at the context surrounding the passage
- Where – Where does the text come from? Where is the story taking place?
- When – When was the text written? When did the story occur?
- How – How is the text communicated? What form or genre is it? Is it a letter, history, poetry, wisdom literature, apocalyptic literature, etc…
- Why – Why is the author communicating this passage
- Interpretation – What does it mean?
- After we have made observations, we move to interpretation, where we try to figure out what the passage means. What was the original author trying to say to the original audience. What was the author’s “Big Idea”.
- Application – Based on what I have seen and what it means, how should I then live?
- Application asks the question, “So what? What do I do with this?”.
- Application is the last step, because it is based on the text. It is tethered to the observations and interpretation of the text.
- Although there is only one interpretation, there can be many applications.
Please contact the office for more information. Below is the audio of our adult class which is currently studying through the Book of 1 Samuel in the Fall of 2019. You can find audio of most of our previous classes below.
|1 Samuel||August 25, 2019||21 Messages||Explore This Series|
|GCPC New Members Class Pilot||May 12, 2019||2 Messages||Explore This Series|
|Special Services||January 20, 2019||1 Message||Explore This Series|
|James||January 6, 2019||13 Messages||Explore This Series|
|Jonah||October 21, 2018||4 Messages||Explore This Series|
|Biblical Support For Missions||August 26, 2018||7 Messages||Explore This Series|
|Exodus||January 8, 2017||46 Messages||Explore This Series|
|John||February 7, 2016||30 Messages||Explore This Series|
|How to Read and Study the Bible||January 24, 2016||2 Messages||Explore This Series|
|Judges||August 23, 2015||18 Messages||Explore This Series|
|2 Timothy||January 25, 2015||8 Messages||Explore This Series|
|Lessons and Carols||December 14, 2014||4 Messages||Explore This Series|