Christian Education exists for the teaching and instructing of God’s covenant people in the persons and work of the Triune God.
We have Christian Education for all ages starting at 9:30 on Sunday mornings. CE runs parallel with the standard school year (fall and spring semesters) and breaks for the summer.
Adult Christian Education – Fall 2017 – The Book of Exodus
Our fall semester for 2017 began on August 20th. We are continuing our study through the Book of Exodus. In the Spring of 2017, we studied the first 15 chapters in Exodus, which covered Moses call and commission, the plagues, and finally the Exodus. This Fall, we picked up where we left off, as the Israelite’s travel into the wilderness on their way to Mount Sinai and are given the law. In it we will see the many challenges they are faced with, and see God’s continual, unmerited provision and faithfulness. Then later in the Spring of 2018, we will reach the third section of Exodus that covers the instructions for, and construction of the tabernacle, which culminates with God dwelling with His people. Below is the upcoming schedule and passages that will be covered.
- November 12 – Exodus 20:13 – The 6th Commandment
- November 19 – Exodus 20:14 – The 7th Commandment
- November 26 – Exodus 20:15 – The 8th Commandment
- December 3 – Exodus 20:16 – The 9th Commandment
- December 10 – Exodus 20:17 – The 10th Commandment
- December 17 – Exodus 20:22-21:11 – Laws about Altars & Slaves
- December 24 & 31 – Winter Break – No Christian Ed.
Observation / Interpretation / Application
As in our past studies through John and Judges, our goal as we study through Exodus in the Adult class, is to find the authors original purpose and message to the original audience. Then once we understand the main thing the author is trying to say, we can see both applications for the original audience, and us today. As we’ve been studying the past couple years, we’ve been using the following steps. Observation… Interpretation… Application…
- Observation – What do I see? (In this step we ask questions to better understand what we are reading)
- Who – Who is involved in the story or letter? Who is the author? Who is he writing to?
- What – What is going on? What is the setting? Take a step back and look at the context surrounding the passage
- Where – Where does the text come from? Where is the story taking place?
- When – When was the text written? When did the story occur?
- How – How is the text communicated? What form or genre is it? Is it a letter, history, poetry, wisdom literature, apocalyptic literature, etc…
- Why – Why is the author communicating this passage
- Interpretation – What does it mean?
- After we have made observations, we move to interpretation, where we try to figure out what the passage means. What was the original author trying to say to the original audience. What was the author’s “Big Idea”.
- Application – Based on what I have seen and what it means, how should I then live?
- Application asks the question, “So what? What do I do with this?”.
- Application is the last step, because it is based on the text. It is tethered to the observations and interpretation of the text.
- Although there is only one interpretation, there can be many applications.
Please contact the office for more information. Below is the audio of our adult class which is currently studying through the Book of Exodus in 2017-18. You can find audio of most of our previous classes below.
|Biblical Support For Missions||August 26, 2018||5 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|Exodus||January 8, 2017||46 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|John||February 7, 2016||30 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|How to Read and Study the Bible||January 24, 2016||2 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|Judges||August 23, 2015||18 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|2 Timothy||January 25, 2015||8 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|Lessons and Carols||December 14, 2014||4 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|1 Timothy||August 24, 2014||20 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|The English Bible||December 1, 2013||5 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|
|Ephesians||September 8, 2013||11 Messages||Explore This SeriesSeries|